1) The tissue in plants that brings water upward from the roots;
2) a leading global water technology company.
Xylem, a leading global water technology company dedicated to solving the world’s most challenging water issues, is the leading global provider of efficient, innovative and sustainable water technologies improving the way water is used, managed, conserved and re-used. Our international team is unified in a common purpose: creating advanced technology and other trusted solutions to solve the world’s water challenges. We are committed to creating an organization of inclusion and diversity, where everyone feels involved, respected, valued and connected, and where everyone is free to bring their authentic selves and ideas.
If you are excited and passionate about helping us #letssolvewater, we want to hear from you! For more information, please visit us at www.xylem.com.
We Offer You More Than Just “A Job”
- Professional Development – To advance the capabilities of our people, we offer a wide variety of experiences to support our employees’ professional growth and continuous learning.
- Total Rewards – We offer comprehensive programs for compensation, benefits, recognition, learning and development, work-life integration and corporate citizenship.
- Watermark – Watermark is our corporate social responsibility program working to provide education and access to safe water to ensure healthy lives, gender equality, and resilient communities. Employees have the opportunity to learn and volunteer on various water-related projects.
- Employee Networks – Our Employee Networks provide a professional, supportive network for employees from diverse backgrounds, including Women’s, LGBT+ and Allies, Veteran’s, People of Color and Allies, Emerging Leaders, and Working Parents Networks.
Summary of the position
Xylem seeks to hire a Senior Manager of Government and Industry Relations to support Xylem’s continued growth and evolution as a leading global solution provider in the water sector. You will play a critical role in advancing the water sector by engaging on Xylem’s behalf with government and industry stakeholders across the EU institutions and the United Kingdom.
In this role you will have the following responsibilities:
You will establish, develop, and maintain effective working relationships with key personnel within:
- The EU Commission Directorate General
- The European Council and
- European Parliament
- Member States in locations in which Xylem has a strong presence
- Public development banks, including the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development and the European Investment Bank
- Other government and institutional policymakers, industry associations, think tanks and other key stakeholders including technology and solution suppliers, water users, Water Utilities, customer trade associations and investment banks
Advancing strategic priorities
You will monitor and advocate on selected strategic topics in the European Union and in the United Kingdom. Your main responsibilities are to:
- Develop and implement Xylem’s public policy agenda and strategy in Europe, collaborating with key internal stakeholders, including Corporate Strategy and Global Gov’t Affairs
- Manage Xylem’s outside government-relations consultants and cooperate effectively with European and National trade associations, coalitions, business alliances, and lobbying firms
- Work closely with Xylem’s senior management to develop policy positions and strategy on relevant legislation, regulation and emerging issues
- Provide political risk analysis and develop advocacy strategy, and partner with internal stakeholders to build awareness of regulation and reputation risks that could impact Xylem and clients.
- Partner with legal and compliance on lobbying compliance and laws
You will plan and manage a pro-active plan of engagement of Xylem’s WI&ECT leadership team with government, regulatory, and industry stakeholders. Your main responsibilities are to:
- Identify and leverage other functional initiatives, across the Company, to influence perception of Xylem among those stakeholders – eg, the sustainability report, thought-leadership campaigns, etc.
- Manage the engagement plan, including how to engage key trade associations and other membership bodies.
- Write talking points and prepare briefing materials for Xylem senior executive meetings.
What do we ask you bring to Xylem?
- Ability to navigate the political, legislative and regulatory environment at senior EU level and across the region, and specifically in Germany, France and the United Kingdom
- Experience working with governmental officials, legislative/regulatory leaders, and staff in substantive policy areas (legislative and/or regulatory experience with water-related topics preferred)
- Ability to understand, assess and articulate the likely implications of political, policy and regulatory matters on Xylem’s business
- Demonstrated success in constructively engaging decision-makers, including policy-makers locally, regionally, nationally, and globally
- Proven ability in the development, management, and advocacy of policies and positions
- Advanced research skills to find, analyze and present information from a variety of credible sources, to provide timely, high-quality internal and external briefings.
- Strategic thinking combined with accuracy and attention to detail and the ability to achieve results
- High-level level oral and written English, French and German language skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to interact with Xylem senior management
- Willingness to travel in the European region
Additional Preferred Qualifications:
- 7+ years experience working in government, industry associations, regional or global organizations, multilaterals or NGOs on policy issues
- Bachelors degree in a relevant area (e.g. political science, government, economics, commerce or law).
- Intellectual curiosity, interdisciplinary thinking, and the ability to ‘connect the dots’
- Passion for water and sustainability as you have the chance the solve water.